Last Wednesday was Zurich Netball Club’s AGM, where we all marvelled at our club’s achievements over the past year. We announced the winners of our Lion’s League, gave out a couple of awards, and welcomed in our new committee for 2013. For the first time, we also discussed our club’s future as a mixed club and took a closed vote on whether to remain that way. We followed up our AGM with a fun versatility game, which saw players both struggle and revel in positions they usually avoid, and even got a few unsuspecting members to give umpiring a go!
– We began Switzerland’s first netball league, which is now so successful that we have enough for four teams!
– Three of our members (Lorna, Mollie and Jo C) were selected for the Swiss Open team and played in Gibraltar, earning Switzerland an official Netball World Ranking of 31.
– We entered a team in Zurich’s SOLA run in May.
– We ran our first international tournament, which we managed to win!
– We also managed to take home the trophy for the Peppermill Tournament in Lausanne, finally bringing the silverware over to our side of the country.
– The Fondue Fighters took out the trophy (okay, the socks) for winning our most recent Lion’s League. Congratulations to them all! It was a very tight competition this time.
– Claudia won the Players’ Player of our Lion’s League — the player who not only has fantastic skills as a netballer, but also displays great sportsmanship and is an all-round asset to our club.
– Christine won the most committed award (those of you who know her shouldn’t be too surprised by this!).
– Linda and Anna both won awards for being the most improved. Well done ladies!
Mixed or Ladies only?
After much interesting discussion we all took a closed vote, with the majority of people choosing to keep Zurich Netball Club a mixed club. So let’s spread the word to the sporty men we know and see if we can take a lead on the development of mixed netball in Switzerland!
Our New Committee
We sadly say goodbye and an enormous thank you to three members of our committee who are stepping down, each of whom has been there from the start. Thanks to Jenny Evans, our president, Jen Hartley, our finance officer, and Gillian Towns, our club development officer. You ladies will be sadly missed and we all know what an amazing job you have done to bring our club to the level that it currently is. Thank you! And with that, we offer a big welcome to our new committee for 2013: Jo Cackett, Anna Currie, Jo O’Hora, Johanna Sargeant, Claudia Almer, Christine Gutgesell and Rosie Walkinton. We wish you all much fun and enthusiasm for the upcoming year!